Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Learning

After the first shot (see previous post) I decided to do some more research... hey it's been a record for snow and cold in Boston so no better time to read up and get informed than when one is snowed in.  Anyway, I started to really sink my teeth into the genre and check out some sites, photographers, Flickr groups, etc.  One photographer on Flickr I have always liked was Thomas Leuthard.  I really like his style and he seems like a super nice guy... his work is available for free full size on Flickr, and he shares his approach for free via free ebooks and videos.  He even has a youtube video of his LightRoom workflow.  For me this was eye opening... most images are processed in less than a minute with only some slight adjustments and a vignette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSNlplqlWrY

Also, he recently started offering low cost classes on the Udemy website.  I am about 50% through his beginning Street Photography class (he now has a class on Composition) and having a great time with it.

https://www.udemy.com/streetphotography/#/

I have a bit of concerned at the moment that I might be following his style and approach a bit too much, but for now I think it's OK as I learn and reduce the fear of approaching strangers.  I think my photos have improved a lot in just the week or so working on it.  Newest to oldest below.  I find these a lot more interesting and compelling than any street shots I have taken before.  Super psyched to start being proud of my street shots.  The journey has definitely started!






No comments:

Post a Comment