Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Camera


M8 Zeiss 35
Originally uploaded by KJDreese
So this is the camera. Purchased used from Tamarkin Camera http://www.tamarkin.com. By the way, Dan Tamarkin was awesome to deal with.. They had a bunch of M8's to choose from and they were really helpful emailing me photos and discussing my specific requests over the phone.  They really made the process of buying such a nice (and expensive) camera part of the fun.

This particular M8 was my actually my second purchase. The first one I bought (from a different dealer) had the dreaded red line issue on the sensor so I returned it (returned no questions asked for a full refund). This camera however has been great and is still under warranty from Tamarkin.  In my opinion for this kind of money (even at used prices) it makes sense to buy with confidence from a reputable vendor.

Note - if you are interested in buying a used M8 I definitely suggest doing your homework (e.g. check out posts at the Rangfinder forum) on the potential issues so you go in with both eyes open. When I bought the camera I bought from a well respected vendor and asked a ton of questions and specifically wanted a later serial #, a warranty, and a good return policy in case there were issues. Also, once I received the camera the firs thing I did was a physical inspection and a series of functional tests (e.g. take photos at all shutter speeds and ISO's) using a tripod to see immediately if there were any issues with the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment